Friday, July 10, 2020

Granting My Petition

[Shri Krishna]“I am seated in everyone's heart, and from Me come remembrance, knowledge and forgetfulness. By all the Vedas am I to be known; indeed I am the compiler of Vedanta, and I am the knower of the Vedas.” (Lord Krishna, Bhagavad-gita, 15.15)

Download this episode (right click and save)

सर्वस्य चाहं हृदि सन्निविष्टो
मत्तः स्मृतिर् ज्ञानम् अपोहनं च
वेदैश् च सर्वैर् अहम् एव वेद्यो
वेदान्त-कृद् वेद-विद् एव चाहम्

sarvasya cāhaṁ hṛdi sanniviṣṭo
mattaḥ smṛtir jñānam apohanaṁ ca
vedaiś ca sarvair aham eva vedyo
vedānta-kṛd veda-vid eva cāham

“I understand that Krishna is just another name for describing the Almighty, the one who is above everyone in terms of persistence, potency, longevity, and overall quality of existence. Krishna is not a ‘Hindu’ god; whatever that means.

“If not, there would be competing concepts for the sun, water, the mountains, the trees, the planets, and so forth. The reality is that there can only be one God. Who could deny that the original person would be all-attractive in their features and act as the greatest of enjoyers, purusha?

“If we settle on the truth that Krishna is all-powerful, then there is a lingering doubt in my mind. We learn that the root cause of suffering in this world is forgetfulness of Him. The solution might not be easy to decipher, for we fondly anticipate the remedy to so many smaller issues.

“If the country just opened up again, we would be happy. If I could once again visit the gym for a workout, sit down and eat at a restaurant, or relax in the bright sunshine of a matinee baseball game, then the panic would subside.

[afternoon baseball game]“That is simply not the truth. Another problem would arise, and another after that one. Every problem is actually due to forgetfulness of Krishna. The thing is, if He is so powerful, why can’t He change the situation? Why can’t He let us remember Him? Better yet, compel us to move in the direction best for our interests.”

The condition at present is something like having the government listen to and respond favorably to a petition. Say that I need to build an extension to my house. I would love to go ahead and get the work started, but the local government has laws dealing with these things.

I have to visit the local office first and submit my proposal. Only until they approve the changes can I begin; otherwise I risk a halt to the construction midway through. Or worse, there could be a stiff penalty to pay should the authorities ever learn of my rebellious act.

My overall forgetfulness is due to an informal petition answered by the all-attractive one. This is confirmed in the Bhagavad-gita, where Krishna says that He is the source of forgetfulness. The Sanskrit word is apohanam.

I want to be in illusion. I want to be fooled. I want to forget. Something like purchasing a ticket to take a seat at the local movie theater for the next showing of the hit film, I want to pretend like I am unaware of the reality. Birth, death, old age, disease, the dualities of happiness and sadness – place those to the side, for the moment.

The same governing body grants the desire for remembrance. Supreme kindness represented this way. I simply have to want to remember God, and eventually the reality will unfold. I will never be able to forget Him, no matter the panic conditions in society.

[Shri Krishna]I will be able to remember both in this lifetime and future ones. Not only will I finally achieve peace of mind, but there will be a newfound happiness; one not experienced in lifetimes prior. We can make our desires easily known through simple activities like worshiping, praying, contemplating, or even chanting: Hare Krishna Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare.

In Closing:

Panic in society created,
So my spirits deflated.

That wanting remedy now,
Wondering to continue how?

Krishna like canvassing board,
Ready today to grant the reward.

Of remembering Him clearly,
An affectionate friend held dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment