Sunday, December 22, 2019

Three People We Try To Impress

[Prabhupada-Gita]“For one who explains the supreme secret to the devotees, devotional service is guaranteed, and at the end he will come back to Me.” (Lord Krishna, Bhagavad-gita, 18.68)

Download this episode (right click and save)

य इदं परमं गुह्यं
मद्-भक्तेष्व् अभिधास्यति
भक्तिं मयि परां कृत्वा
माम् एवैष्यत्य् असंशयः

ya idaṁ paramaṁ guhyaṁ
mad-bhakteṣv abhidhāsyati
bhaktiṁ mayi parāṁ kṛtvā
mām evaiṣyaty asaṁśayaḥ

1. Our colleagues

“Just see how many projects I am on. That person sitting across from me is responsible for only one task. The colleague one seat over doesn’t appear to be as busy throughout the day. No one is bothering them. They get to work in peace.

“I, on the other hand, constantly get interrupted. Different departments contact me, looking for assistance. If there is a big task to handle, the managers know that I can complete it the soonest. And the quality of my work doesn’t suffer.

“This is the way I like it. It’s a competitive mindset, but I can’t help it. I would rather be fully engaged than completely aloof and counting the remaining hours until quitting time each day.”

2. Our bosses

“If I do a really good job on this project, I think the boss will take notice. Then maybe I will get preferential treatment. A promotion down the line? Not out of the realm of possibility.

“My coworkers tell me that is the way towards becoming a manager. Become friends with someone who is going somewhere. When that person leaves the job, they recommend you to take over for them. Thus it pays to be friendly with the managers.”

3. Our friends

[park with pond]“I got this great new job. I am able to purchase a much bigger house to live in. Thousands of square feet. A good neighborhood. A walking trail nearby and a beautiful park. Let me invite friends and family over for a party. I wish to celebrate with them. I want them to share in my happiness.”

In truth, those we wish to impress might have their own insecurities. By showing them how well we are doing, they may get envious. Instead of appreciating us more, they look for ways to bring us down. Who wants to be made to feel inferior all the time? Who likes having their inadequacies thrown in their face?

Moreover, that person we are trying to impress may not even care. They are worried about looking good in front of us. There is also the issue of forgetfulness. I have done a great job for the boss on many tasks. But on this latest one I slipped up. I made a huge mistake. Now they are upset. It is as if the past successes do not matter.

The saintly representatives of the Vedic tradition appearing in this world know very well the kind nature of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Bhagavan. Defects are absent in Him. He remembers just a single good deed done, even if we should forget Him later on.

He is the person most worth impressing, since His favoritism has the greatest impact. It doesn’t take much to win His favor, either. A little fruit or water offered to Him in a mood of devotion gets accepted. He provides so much more in return, including the ability to rise above ordinary happiness and sadness, high and low, success and failure.

पत्रं पुष्पं फलं तोयं
यो मे भक्त्या प्रयच्छति
तद् अहं भक्त्य्-उपहृतम्
अश्नामि प्रयतात्मनः

patraṁ puṣpaṁ phalaṁ toyaṁ
yo me bhaktyā prayacchati
tad ahaṁ bhakty-upahṛtam
aśnāmi prayatātmanaḥ

“If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it.” (Lord Krishna, Bhagavad-gita, 9.26)

[Prabhupada-Gita]He understands the nature of ability in each individual. Every person has a unique set of skills, but whatever is used for furthering the cause of devotion and devotional life is appreciated. Especially dear to Bhagavan are those who pass on the sacred instructions for escaping the cycle of birth and death, for finding liberation through the use of intelligence and proper application of discrimination in action. Such saintly people advise to always chant the holy names: Hare Krishna Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare.

In Closing:

Perhaps later with raise to bless,
So now that boss to impress.

Colleagues my ability to see,
Knowing that can trust in me.

But envy a possibility too,
Feeling inferior compared to you.

Saint advising towards Bhagavan to lead,
Remembering even a single good deed.

No comments:

Post a Comment